Usefulness of Whey

I have never thought about whey except that small time in my life when I went to the gym and was in semi health mode. But what I'm talking about is nothing like that. I had no idea how to make it or where to get it from before we started making the raw milk formula for Riley. It calls for 1/4 cup in each batch we make. So, I realized after seeing the post from Cheeseslave today about How to Make Whey, I figured I'd post a few of the many things you can use whey in.

  1. If you soak your grains, you can put whey in the water that you are soaking your grains in. Here's a link from The Nourishing Gourmet about soaking grains.
  2. Of course, in the raw cow's milk formula! I've linked to the Cheeseslave post about how to make raw milk formula. It's pretty easy.
  3. If you ever lacto-ferment any vegetables, you use the whey in those recipes. I know I love love love sauerkraut!!! Other veggies that I can think of are beets, radishes, carrots, etc. Pickles are the BEST!!!
  4. Lacto-fermented beverages. Think vinegar like. Kombucha is really good although you have to get used to it. I'm not sure anyone likes it at first. Food Renegade has a really good post about the benefits and such of Kombucha and how to brew it.

That's about all I can think of right now.

If you want to learn more about eating traditional foods, you definitely need to read Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook that Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats. It is packed full of useful recipes including that raw milk formula recipe. But other important information too. A definite must have for your collection!

Hope this post was a little informative!

Later.


1 comments:

- Kevin May 1, 2009 at 11:57 PM  

Whey is great. I love that I can strain yogurt (which I prefer anyway) and still have whey to use for soaking or making ricotta. Nourishing Traditions is fantastic, too. Have you checked out Full Moon Feast, yet?

=Jenny @ Nourished Kitchen

Post a Comment

  © NOME DO SEU BLOG

Design by Emporium Digital